Thursday, November 15, 2007

iHCPL #22 Downloadable Media

This is a "been there done that" moment. When the HCPL Overdrive system added videos to its repertoire, I had to try it out. I found the instructions to be clear, but my PC could have been faster. That is one thing that will limit downloading and viewing - PC speed. The other is available memory. This is true for any type of downloadable digital media. I don't remember the title I chose, just that it was short. I followed the directions, waited for the download, and viewed the video. I have downloaded music but haven't downloaded any books.

I checked out both Librivox and Wowio. Librivox uses volunter readers to record Public Domain books for free audio download. They also have podcasts. Wowio uses corporate sponsorships to make Adobe versions of their books available. They also ask to confirm your identity to be sure you are you.

Between HCPL's Overdrive, Librivox and Wowio, I see coverage of mainstream, the classics and independent publishers, most what someone is looking for could be found.

No comments: