Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Maps #31: Have Map, Will Travel

I had trouble viewing the Google "Create a Map" tutorial at work, but was able to do so at home. I figured out how to create a map before viewing the tutorial and had fun. I decided to make a make of the places to eat around the library titled "Dining near Freeman Library". I figure this is an easy way for visitors to look at the food options nearby when they go to the Library for programs or training. Just do a Google map search for Freeman Library dining. Here it is embedded below:



View Larger Map


I'm not sure why the plaza is labeled Dickenson Shopping Center. I'll have too investigate and notify Google.

I think this is a good way to direct people to your house, though town from the airport, or just get info about places for yourself. I also made a note about the James Coney Isand being closed when I did the seach for restaurants near Freeman. I like how people are allowed to make comments or corrections(pending verification)to keep the maps current. Think about it - you were in the mood for coneys & search Google only to find the closed note. No wasted trip.

I have found Google & Yahoo to be simillar in looks for maps, but I'm still looking at all the features. I tend to use Yahoo over Mapquest because it seems to be better with keping current.

No comments: