Monday, April 21, 2008

Maps #33: Relocating with Online Maps

ACTIVITY 1:

I choose the Apartment part of this activity because I already know about the House part. I still occasionally check out my neighborhood to keep track of values.

I searched for apartments in the 77062 area, the same zip as the Library. I found that using the radius search gives me more seletion that just seaching with in a zip code area. But the zip area nicely limits the selection if you don't have a vehicle. Most of the apartments I found listed handicap accessiblity. It was only a search criteria for one search service, the others needed a little digging.

I found 3 possible properties that I would consider. They were all listed on 2 of the 3 search services. I like that floor plans and pictures are available for viewing before you contact the management about availability. One service even connects you to the properties website ro more details.

I found that the hybrid map view was the most useful to me, especially when additional seaching(banks,stores,libraries)were an option. The plain street map was too sterile and the satellite view without street names was too busy. The combination gave a more realistic view.

This leads to ACTIVITY 2:

I like both Apartments.com and Apartment Guide with a leaning towards Apartment Guide. Apartment Guide has bigger maps. The maps also give more detail and more search options on what is nearby. That gives you a better idea on what is in the neighborhood.

The public library was only .31 miles from the property I choose . There were 3 pharmacies within half a mile, one inside of a grocery just across an intersection. There is an elementary school only 3 blocks away and a couple of daycares even closer. An auto repair center is .21 miles away. Several restaurants are within .5 miles, both fast food and sit down. A Metro Park & Ride is within a mile, easy walking distance to catch a bus downtown.

I like Apartment Guide, but might also check the other search services to compare total info. Not that I'm moving anytime soon, I too attached to what I currently have.

No comments: