Saturday, April 12, 2008

Maps #32: Current Events

ACTIVITY 1:

I looked through the list of "100 Things To Do With Google Maps" .

One hypothetical question that I could best answer through visualization is "What is my elevation above sea level?". Along the Texas gulf coast, this is a relevant question.

I used the Freeman Library again as a subject. I went to http://www.earthtools.org/ and found that if you were standing on the sidewalk in front of the library, you would be 10m above sea level. The latitude and longitude is 29.558°N 95.1196°W . Since the site also gives latitude and longitude, you know the height above sea level at that point. And since you can have a satellite view, you can make sure that the data is from the exact point you want. Pretty cool.


ACTIVITY 2:

Explore Global Incident Map , Terra Server, or National Atlas .

I looked at all three to see what they were about. Terra Server is pretty, but is a commercial enterprise. The Global Incident Map is flashy, but most of the "incidents" I looked at turned out to be nothing. Of course, I could have just looked at the wrong incidents.

National Atlas is intriguing and for the most part FREE. They provide printable PDF maps, but you can also order printed maps, if you want. I've been having fun with the Boundaries of the United States . I'll need to remember the Reference and Outline Maps of the United States the next time I get a reference question regarding U.S. maps. Yous can print either the entire U.S. or individual states. There are several printing options to choose from and you can always preview to make sure it is what you need. It was neat to see just the rivers & lakes of Texas without other map features.


Optional Bonus Activity: EarthNow Landsat Image Viewer

This is the coolest thing. The EarthNow Landsat Image Viewer lets you view footage from Landsat satellites, sometimes in REAL TIME. The site tells you what the day & time of the currently running pass. It also let's you know the time of the next live pass. Leave this running on your desktop & you are likely to return to someone staring at the satellite image passing by.

No comments: