Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Games and Gaming #37: Get Your Game On @ The Library

I have read all the recommended articles on gaming in the library. The one I am most familiar with is The Shifted Librarian because I subscribe to her RSS feeds. I agree with what she has to say. Gaming DOES promote Reading and Library Usage and I have seen it. I like it when the games, even Runescape, are providing educational opportunities. The players may not even realize that they are learning because it is fun.

Some of it is more obvious - the Carnegie Mellon library games, for example, at http://www.library.cmu.edu/Libraries/etc/index.html . I played these and found them easy, but you could say that I've had practice. I like that they teach basic library organization and research skills. I wouldn't mind seeing something like like on my Library's website.

Games serve two purposes - as a lure to get people into the Library and as a tool to teach them. Once in the Library, people notice what else is available. Playing the games, they learn new skills, including social skills, in order to better interact around them. I think that Games in the Library will evolve to both educate and entertain just as Libraries have evolved themselves. At one time the thought of computers or movies in the Library was unknown. Look at us now.

No comments: