Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Games and Gaming #38: Console Gaming

Talk about a blast from the past! I remember playing Pacman & others on those console tables at the pizza place after the game. The tables were great - you could still have your soda & pizza while playing the games. I played on the "nostalgic" game site with Pacman and Missile Command. Figuring out the command keys was easy, even without instructions. I prefer the console controls over the keyboard, but the timing in the game was the same I was used to playing. Since I was familiar with the timing and action of the game, I did OK. I guess that might give me an advantage over someone who has not played the classics.


For Gaming in the Library iHCPLnextgen presented Microsoft Xbox 360 , Sony Playstation 3 , and Nintendo Wii as 3 possibilities. These 3 are nice and currently HOT, but a lot could depend on your funding. Of these 3, I like the Wii because it encourages physical activity. However, cost and availablilty could make it hard to get.

I would like to propose another possible game system, the PS2. While the PS2 may not be as flashy as the PS3, it is still a very widely used system. It has been around long enough to have a good collection of games and a LOT of people are already familiar with it. It is still readily available, and if someone is upgrading to a newer system, available used at a discounted price.

I think that console gaming can be both fun and educational. Depending on the game, you can improve memory, observation skills, and even agility(dancing). And while you may get some who only come to the Library for the games, both console & PC based, they are at least exposed to what else the Library has to offer. You only need to get one or two connected to the books before some word of mouth gets others involved.

No comments: