Friday, April 24, 2009

Money & Finance #58: Banking, Budgeting, and Spending

Money & Finance #58: Banking, Budgeting, and Spending

1)My bank does offer online banking and I do use it. It is nice to be able to pay bills online and track deposits & withdrawals. This especially convenient when family members don't remember to tell you about using their debit card. Since I mainly handle the bill paying, although I wouldn't mind someone else doing it, I still opt for paper bills & notices, in case I am unable to access the online banking or a family member needs to pay bills. Security seems to be OK. I use my home network, which is password protected itself, to access my banking. The bank also has security safeguards, so I know that I am at the real banking site. I selected a picture and named it myself as an extra ID feature. I do wish that since access is 24/7 that banking itself was also 7 days, but they don't send out bill payments on the weekends.

2) I've looked at the budgeting tools available. I really like Mint and could possibly see using it, but part of the problem is dealing with other members of the family. If it was just me, it would be much easier. I'm still trying to convince others that some of these tool could benefit them, and in turn, the rest of the family

3) I've read the article, Spend Less on Everything, on ways to cut back on spending. I already incorporate/implement several of these into my financial plan. I use a programmable thermostat, carry a refillable water bottle, wash in cold water as much as possible, and have been using CFLs for years. Being Green can save you money. I also comparison shop, both online and in person. I know where to get my regular "bulk" items and where to get my grocery deals. There are some other things I would like to do, but as I mentioned before, it requires the cooperation of other family members.

No comments: