Monday, March 30, 2009

Potluck #49: L'amore di lingue - Love of Languages

Potluck #49: L'amore di lingue - Love of Languages

OK, I'll admit to taking 2 years of French in High School a couple of decades ago. I didn't take the 3rd year because I was more interested in the Calculus & Drafting courses I was taking. My brain just leans more in that direction.

LiveMocha has some neat tricks to make the language more relevant, more intune with your life. You don't have to use the social connection part, but having real people and not just a program help you is a big bonus. They are there to learn too and really want to help.

Mangolanguages - The flash cards & narrator are OK, but the interaction IS kind of slow. My brain might fall asleep if I didn't pay attention. It is not a bad program, just not for the way my brain is wired.

I've also played with Rosetta Stone, available here - World Languages , if you have an HPL card. Rosetta Stone is kind of like a cross between LiveMocha and Mangolanguages, without so many flash cards or the social interaction part.

Of these three here, I'd probably start back with Rosetta Stone and move on to LiveMocha. That is if I could wrap my brain around it again. I could use some Spanish for work and maybe some Japanese.

Maybe if I think of it in terms of a puzzle......

No comments: