Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Searching #77: Images

Searching #77: Images

Exercise 1 asks "Using All Free Clip Art , how many clicks did it take to get to a color Santa that doesn’t look like a troll?"  My answer: 2

I used the search function by typing "santa" in the box and clicked on search. (click 1)  I looked at the search results and decided to stick with All Free Clip Art.  I selected the 5th link in the list:  http://www.allfree-clipart.com/clipart/Holidays/Christmas/christmas-clipart13.html (click 2)  Voila, three color Santas!  One may look like a bit like a troll and another was kind of skinny, but I have at least one that meets specs.

I read  “10 Places to Find Free Images Online” .   I did not try the site that a commenter warned about on the exercise blog.  I did try several others.  A couple had bad links.   Here are 2 I like:

FreePhotosBank does have advertising for other sites around the free photos, but if you pay attention, you can search and get free photos.  I like the details given about each photo and the options for jpeg or zip downloads.  Their Terms of Use are very clear that only the photos listing "freephotobank" as photographer are free to use so long as the site is credited.  Other photographers should be contacted for permission to use their photos.  The photo above is from FreePhotosBank.

I have used Flickr before.  I really like their use of the Creative Commons licensing.  Like the site above, the terms are very clear on what is needed for each level of licensing.  Again, free use of photos, just properly accredit if needed.


I have logged into the clip art program HCPL uses before.  Here is an illustration that could be used for a program at my branch.         Image copyright Jupiterimages


No comments: