Saturday, February 20, 2010

Searching #78: Video

Searching #78: Video

I've looked around  HCPL’s YouTube channel.  How could our own branch video add to the mix of searchable video content on the Internet?  I think that would depend on how the video is titled, described, and tagged.  Most of the search result seem to depend on these three things.  I like how the book reviews include the book title and the event videos are location and event specific.


I searched for a particular video using both Truveo and Blinkx.  I decided to look for the "Printing at Freeman" set from the above channel to see what would happen. 

Truveo listed 3 of the 4 "Printing at Freeman" videos and one other video titled "TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas Print Shop Ribbon Cutting" under the all of their tabs.

Blinkx had a 2 page list, but none of the "Printing at Freeman" videos were in the list.  I guess that it due to the search method they use.  I don't like the auto preview they start up.  I would rather choose what to view on my own.

I also search for "Amish Paradise" on both sites.  Truveo had 1828 hits and Blinkx had 1430.  Again Blinkx had the annoying preview that automatically played.  Both had a preview of the hits- pictures with Truveo and either pics or repeating clips at Blinkx. 

Truveo lists the channels, or sources, of its hits.  The site also has Top Ranked, Most Recent, Most, Popular, and Highest Rated categories. You can also choose to list the hits three across with the title and source or a listing that includes channels, descriptions, tags, and age of post.

Blinkx has a list with title, description, source, and date.  They also have a video wall feature.  It creates a 5x5 video wall of the pics & clips found.  If you mouse over the wall, each 'tile' will expand a bit with info.  They give you instructions on how to add the wall to your site or blog, but I think I will pass.

Of these two, I find Truveo to be less annoying.

No comments: